Hydrogen Peroxide for Dogs: Poison Control

If your dog has ingested poison you have to be fast to act. Using hydrogen peroxide for dogs can induce vomiting safely. Read on to find the dosage for dogs, safety precautions and more.

Pet Poison Helpline: 800-213-6680 (operates 24/7)

Hydrogen peroxide is often given to dogs to induce vomiting when he/she has ingested a toxic substance. Many common human substances are dangerous for pets, including chocolate, and sometimes when we leave these things lying around the house by mistake our pets can’t help but have a nibble. If you suspect your pet has swallowed a poisonous substance, contact the pet poison helpline immediately on the number supplied above. Never induce vomiting in your pet unless you have been advised to do so by an expert. Inducing vomiting in the wrong scenario may be of no use, or may potentially cause harm and make the situation worse.

Hydrogen peroxide dosage for dogs

Take a large needle-less syringe (or a turkey baster) and, when using a 3% concentrated formula of hydrogen peroxide, measure out 1 ml for each pound your dog weighs. You may also decide to use teaspoon for measuring in a pinch. Each teaspoon equals roughly 5 ml. You should then squirt the solution into the back of your dog’s throat. Vomiting should occur within 15 minutes. If it does not occur within this time, repeat the steps above. If your dog STILL does not vomit after 2 attempts, call the pet poison helpline again for further instruction, or contact the vet.

Do not exceed 45 ml per dose for any size dog.

Is hydrogen peroxide safe for dogs?

Hydrogen peroxide may be unsafe in certain situations where vomiting is not advised. Always contact a poison helpline before inducing vomiting in your dog.

Safety precautions

  • Your first step when your dog has swallowed a dangerous substance is to call the pet poison helpline on 800-213-6680
  • Do not induce vomiting in your pet unless you have been instructed to do so by a professional
  • Do not exceed 45 ml of hydrogen peroxide per dose
  • Always use the 3% concentrated formula of hydrogen peroxide
  • Ring the pet poison helpline back after 2 failed attempts, or contact your vet immediately

After administering hydrogen peroxide, wait 15 minutes for vomiting to occur. If it does not, you should administer a second dose. After two failed attempts in a row get in contact with a vet as a matter of emergency, or ring back the pet poison helpline for instruction on how to proceed.

Be sure to use the 3% formulation of hydrogen peroxide when giving it to dogs.

Uses of hydrogen peroxide for dogs

Hydrogen peroxide is often used in cases of poisoning to induce vomiting.

Side effects of hydrogen peroxide use in dogs

You can expect vomiting, which is the desired outcome. Aside from this, administering too much may lead to stomach ulcers. look out for dark tar-like stools, fatigue and continued vomiting, which may signal a stomach ulcer problem.

Chocolate toxicity meter